Friday, September 1, 2017

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Force- Force Friday II; Toys R Us, Bloomingdale, Illinois


Another quick post.  About a week ago, saw this ad for the new Star Wars toys:

Upon seeing it, I immediately wanted to partake in the Star Wars excitement as part of the bonus of being back home in the States.  What I wanted most was the free shirt for attending the festivities, much like in high school and college when we got shirts to prove we were actually at fill-in-the-blank concert.   So, at 11:30pm on Thursday night, I hopped into the Camry and drove 4.8 miles to the closest Toys R Us.
I got to Toys R Us around 11:45pm.  On the way there, I did not hit any stoplights.  To my relief, the crowd was not too large and it looked like I'd be getting my shirt and poster.  I made small talk with the other geeks in line with me and Facebooked and Twittered the fact I was in line so the world would know that Pops was getting a limited edition Star Wars Force Friday II shirt, a poster and whatever goodies that were to be released.
On the dot at midnight, the doors were opened and the small crowd rushed to the action figure aisle.  Immediately I wondered where the free shirts and posters were.  They were not at the door, so I figured they must be at the action figure aisle and joined the rush.  They were not at the action figure aisle either.  At that point though, my curiosity about the new toys took over and I started snapping pics on my iPhone. 
That's mine dammit!!!
The other fans were most interested in the deluxe figures and were looking, or more accurately, jockeying for position and grabbing them.  To be honest, of what was released on Friday, the selection wasn't too great and nothing was too exciting.  This might be the fact that Disney doesn't want to reveal too much before the movie is released.  Here are some pics of what I saw:
Holy Snokes!!!
Porgs
More Porgs
And yet more Porgs
New character!
Another new character!!!
This guy looks bad-ass, much tougher than those imperial guards from ROTJ


Relative to the Sarlacc pit?
New Lego set 1
New Lego set 2
New Lego set 3
New Lego set 4

Worse yet, I still didn't know where the free shirts and posters were.  I asked an employee about the shirts, and to my chagrin, he told me that they had not gotten the shirts.  My first impression was that the whole campaign had been a big lie, a false advertisement to get us into the door.  After a pause, the employee then told me to go to the Service Desk and have them take my name and number so I could be called when the shirts arrive.   I trudged my way over to the Service Desk, gave them my name and number and grabbed a poster, which they did have, and left the store. 
The poster is pretty cool  I admit.
Being late at night, I was disappointed at not returning home with the shirt.  Whether I actually will get a shirt or not is to be seen.  I'll keep you guys posted.  Thanks for the read, and have a good weekend.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Long Time... Part Deux.

A long lag in posts, what’s going on? Well let’s see. In the past 11 or so months, I worked a counsel role via an agency for 7 months and…...