Thursday, May 4, 2017

May the Fourth Be With You! Kenner's Star Wars Micro Collection

In honor of this special May the Fourth Be With You, I'd like to talk about my favorite Star Wars collectibles, Kenner's Star Wars Micro Collection.  In 1982, Kenner released Star Wars playsets that came with pre-painted little metal figures.  Some of the figures are shown above.

Unfortunately, the figures chipped rather easily when dropped as you can see above.  This was not the best for toys to be played with by little hands.  Perhaps that was what led to the demise of the line in only about a year.  Some of the playsets, which are plastic, from the line are shown below.
 
Kenner made a Death Star series, a Hoth series (complete with the Ion Cannon) and a Bespin series as well as vehicle main stays, the X-Wing Fighter, Tie Fighter, Snowspeeder and Millennium Falcon.  The Millennium Falcon is particularly rare because I understand it was a Sears exclusive that was produced near the end of the line in 1983. 

Being a toy soldier nut, I had various Micro Collection playsets from my childhood but also started collecting them again during my high school days in the early 1990's.  My buddy Scott and I would patrol garage and rummage sales looking for Star Wars stuff during that time.  I was really focused on finding more Micro Collection items during our searches.  For some reason, Micro Collection stuff didn't have that old moldy plastic smell quality that the other Star Wars stuff we would find at the garage sales had.  Maybe it was because kids didn't play with the Micro Collection items very much.

In one of my pre-Internet acquisitions, I proudly got the Micro Collection Millennium Falcon, which is boxed away somewhere in my apartment.  In those days, other than garage sales, the only places you could find Star Wars toys were toy shows and a monthly toy classified publication called Toy Shop.  If I can locate the Falcon, I'll add a picture... And here it is in all of its glory.



That's all for now about Micro Collection.

What are you wearing today?  I'm wearing the below shirt thanks to Mom's lucky find during her days working at Macy's.


Have a good one today, and May the Fourth Be With You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Long Time... Part Deux.

A long lag in posts, what’s going on? Well let’s see. In the past 11 or so months, I worked a counsel role via an agency for 7 months and…...